Monday, March 11, 2013

Hot Cocao Karma :)

This weekend involved a funeral in Port Alberni Saturday morning  and then Stake Conference in Nanaimo Saturday evening and Sunday morning. When we realised this also involved a time change and an 8:30 am interview Sunday morning, we made hotel reservations (smartest idea ever)....

So the hooligans (just Alex and Dallyn, H, B, M had work commitments)were actually up and ready Saturday morning with plenty of time to spare, looking sharp in their Sunday best, Dallyn in his brand new blue dress shirt and suit pants. So the Superman and I thought it was a great idea to stop at McDonald's for breakfast....

We have almost finished eating when Dallyn suddenly has his entire cup of hot chocolate down the front of him..."Its not my fault the cup split" Dallyn says trying not to cry in public. I give him the "oh. my. gosh. you are thirteen. how did you manage that." look...and the tears flow instantly (I know bad mom) As Grant ushers him out to the van I clean up the mess and join them.

We run to Wal-Mart for a brand new shirt(this time green) and pants and quickly run home so Dallyn can clean up while I iron the second new shirt of the morning...still rather annoyed and not hiding it from my son. Dallyn apologizing the whole time. (again bad Mom) In all actuality the delay only cost us 15 minutes and by the time we hit the Port Alberni junction was nearly forgotten about, at least by me :)....

Well the hotel in Nanaimo has a continental breakfast. Sunday morning we were up at 7am (really 6) got ready and about 8 am headed down for breakfast, all in our Sunday best....The hotel had one of these...

 
Waffle batter dispenser and maker....We became well acquainted with these during our trip to California in October.
 
Well superman went first and as his waffle was ready to beep, I walked up to the batter dispenser to fill my cup. I pull to release the batter and nothing happens, I try again with a little more might this time and just as Grant says I think you are supposed to push? There is a loud pop and the black spout flies off and under the hot waffle maker, waffle batter spuing uncontrollably out of the machine....
 
Robin?!?
It won't stop!
 
Get a bowl. Paper towel. Anything!
 
Grant is laughing so hard, he is little help to me, ...
 
Batter is now all over me, my hands, the entire counter and dripping all over the floor, and it just won't stop draining out of the machine..
 
...picture the I Love Lucy chocolate factory scene....
 
Grant retrieves the spout but his attempts to reattach it are little help to the spewing batter...
 
I  finally run to the front desk for help.
 
The person behind the desk quickly comes to our rescue, apologizing profusely and I am too ashamed to admit it was probably entirely my fault (I pulled and I was supposed to push, Grant said later "You think after 5 babies you would know the difference between pull and push")
 
We are trying to lend a hand to the waffle batter mayhem, when I turn around just as our Vancouver Canada Mission president walks in for breakfast...just my luck, apparently his family was staying at the same hotel..."Hope you didn't want waffles this morning?!" I say trying to hide my embarrassment. He also offers to help clean up...
 
President T then comes over and asks Dallyn to give him a word to use in his talk that morning. When Dallyn couldn't think of any. He then asked for his name and promised to use his name in his talk (which he did, a cool moment for D).
 
We were all cleaned up just in time to head over to the Stake Centre. "I guess you can't really be mad at me any more for the hot chocolate mess, eh Mom?" Dallyn says with glee as we climb into the van. Nope I guess not. "Your mess was definitely worse than mine, Mom" "Yes Dallyn" Grant starts laughing hysterically all over again.
{hot cocoa karma}
 
As we walk into the stake centre Grant looks down at his shoes and pant legs. Both are covered in batter. He cleans up as best we could...but wastes no time throwing me under the bus when we had our interview....I sure do love him.
 
After conference we are leaving the stake offices when we run into President T and his family again...
"I didn't realize what a special day this was for your family," he says shaking Dallyn's hand..... "Give me another word you want me to use in my next talk he says," looking Dallyn straight in the eye...
 
"WAFFLES!" Dallyn exclaims with a look of satisfaction on his face.
 
"Waffles is a great word." President T says.
 
Oh how I love waffles..... and my family!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 







0 comments:

Post a Comment